You Know, I Thought I Liked Being a Junior Executive...

Until I got fucked over sideways by upper management.

So, bit of background information. They call me Section Chief. I'm about as middle management as you can get for something like the Board.
 
Big men upstairs in a suit. Long hours. Horrible, inhumane practices.
The pay isn't bad, and I get to make my own hours.
But, that was before I got saddled with a special case. The Golden Girl of the upper echelons.

Dia Renalda. I call her Red.

Little spitfire with hair to match. Always threw herself off the reservation with her jobs, and god was she determined.

You could find a few of her exploits here.

They told me having an immortal juggernaut would be the best case scenario.
Yeah right. Look what she keeps getting into. And I'm the one who keeps up with her paperwork. You'd think she'd be grateful? No, not really. She's still a pain in my ass, even now.

And this was back when she was just one of my receptionists.

Christ. And now I'd kill for those times back.

Five Years. She flips off the tax adjutant, disappears, and just gets into so much shit that it makes my head spin.

Of course, she's still technically on assignment.

Higher ups always had plans for her. Wiped her memory, let her gallivant off with the masses, helping people.

But now she's gotten herself into trouble.

Last assignment report came in.
 Standard test, find the site, send in a Gatherer, let them deal with the mess.

Of course it was her. After all of his misadventures, she had to be the one they sent.

Jeff The Keeper.

Some sort of knowledge extraordinaire. Self proclaimed titleholder, ironically another member of middle management.

Now if that wasn't a cry for attention, I don't know what was. Point was, he left a few things that the company wasn't too keen on letting out into the open.

Red of course, followed protocol to the letter.

Except for one bit.

You don't get involved and use evidence for your own adventures.

Pass it upstairs, keep it as a trophy, or burn it like everything else.

... 

This is going to be so much paperwork.

Comments

  1. Your Red was dead at that point. You were dealing with me, Jack, for that scenario. Some things just have to be followed through to the end.

    Stop bitching about paperwork. You're alive.

    It's time the events of t his timeline and the others, for the Culling, begin to be published.


    We have a lot to answer for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't remind me. And you're damn well letting me bitch about this the whole time.

    Even with the Culling, things are going way too fast for comfort.

    I'd appreciate time to take it all in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deals, Steals, and Another Corporate Merger...

The Staggered Reply, Quite Literally...

Under the Pale Moonlight