Under the Pale Moonlight


Loud shuffling. Clatter of closet doors. Drawers rustling.

It’s breaking my concentration. Over.. Whatever the hell I’m signing at my desk. It looks like it’s requisition forms. Or some shit. I don’t know. I’m trying to ignore that fucking incessant noise.

It’s Jack, I’m pretty sure. Rummaging around her room like she has been for the past few hours.

And then there it was, a hard thump on my door. Followed by several furious raps. 

And then a voice. Jack’s. Except it wasn’t her usual viciously dour tone coming through the hard-wooden frame. 

“Tag. Open the door. It’s… important.” she stated, more matter of factly.

I growled, grumbled, and got up to open the door. There she was. Except… well.. 

The conversation was not what I expected. And she looked tired… 

Clothes bedraggled, red cheeks, circles under her eyes. 

“Listen. I need it back.”

“Need what?” I replied back.
 
“My mask, you bastard. Where did you put my mirrored mask?”

Her old travel gear. Of course.

“I put it away. You’re retired, Jack. It’s been months. You told me to keep that thing somewhere even I couldn’t get to it.”

She frustratedly slammed her fist into the door frame, making it shake. She was doing it again, that bitch. Making me actually worry about her sanity and well being.

“And I need it back, you dumbass.” 

“Why?” I asked. Not bellowed at her, but asked. 

“I’m coming out of retirement. I need my hooded cloak, my mask, and my damn sense of self back. So, I’m leaving. I don’t know when I’ll be back. Maybe soon, maybe not. “

Clearly she had a lot she didn't want to tell me. But that was normal.

“You’re in charge while I’m gone, as usual. Don’t bitch, you knew this was coming.”

She could see me scowling at her response. Not that it mattered anyway. Her mind was made up. 

“I can’t talk you out of this, can I?" I asked, trying not to make it sound like a plea.

“Nope, just get me my mask and leave the bitching for your paperwork. It’s time to get back to work, Tag. Lilith is safe in her room, I’m here and need your help.” 

I peered around my office while she said it. It was messy, papers strewn about. Clearly could use a good clean up. But I guess it could wait while I was gone.

“Yeah, so. Where are we going?”I questioned, I was curious about where we were headed.

“Not we, Tag. Me. That’s it. Someone has to stay behind and watch over Sanctuary. You aren’t going to be able to be my shadow this time.”

Of course. That nearly set me off. Not that it would have fixed anything to have me yell at her.

“Tag. I need you here. Wherever I’m going is only meant for me. Alright?”

I sighed and bit the inside of my cheek, but went to the back of the closet to grab what she asked for: 
her proper work gear.
 
“I kept them in the back. Hoping you’d just forget and go on with your life.” 

I came back carrying a large box and a black cloak on a wooden hanger.

“You… had my cloak dry cleaned. And.. put my mask somewhere safe.”

She stumbled a bit over her words, a bit of steam lost from her frantic demands.

“I knew you’d need them again, you idiot.” 

Didn’t expect our usual jabs at each other to hurt so much, to be honest. My best friend was leaving on an adventure, alone. Without me keeping her hyper focused mind in check.

“Thanks Tag. Just, give them here. I’ll put them on and go on my way before daybreak hits.”

She reached out and tried to take them from me, but I froze, if not for one second.

“What the fuck, you shadowy bastard. Give me my stuff, I need to get going!”

She was growling again, more than determined to just leave without talking anymore. I sighed and swallowed my pride. I had to get… emotional… Ugh, gagged there a little.

“Hold on, if we’re doing this, let me at least send you off properly, you bitch. Hold still and shut up while I help get you prepared.”

The cloak was first. Black as the night sky, but protective in its embrace. I draped it over her gently, helping her slide her arms through the sleeves. It had kept her safe for so many years before.

And then the box. Her mask. Shards of mirror woven together to form a reflective pool of truth that stared directly into the eyes of anyone who dared face her. I put that on her as gently as the cloak, making sure the edges pressed against her face to seal it properly. Put her hood on over that and turned her around for my final present.

A hug. From a friend. Something totally against my personal code. But.. fuck it, I was helping her get dressed. Might as well break another one of my stupid rules.

“You call when you get wherever the hell you're getting. Stay safe out there. And most of all, don’t fuck it up, Jack. We still need you alive. And your death will be a hell of a lot of heat and paperwork on my end.”

Oddly enough, she embraced my arms around her, even if it was awkward. It was two friends and colleagues saying goodbye for now.

“Don’t forget to write, you fucking idiot. Can’t really know how safe it is to call if you don’t sent correspondence all the time. Don’t die either.”

“I’d miss you too much.”

Wistful last words, of course. And she vanished into the night. Her path lit by the moonlight slowly peeking through the shrouded night sky.

Jack was back.






Comments

  1. Yeah, yeah. I miss you too. Have fun on your grand adventure. Don't die, alright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't yet. Some punk ass medic saved me from the jungle.


      Or was it urban jungle?


      I dunno, perception filters are a bitch.


      Point is.. I succeeded, Tag.


      It took me two and a half months, and an awful lot of pain, but...



      I'll put it this way.




      The mask is no longer necessary.

      Delete
  2. For the record, I'm happy for you. Vague as shit commentary but.. I know what you mean... Let's see how it pans out. And thank that kid for me. We could use a good medic back in Sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deals, Steals, and Another Corporate Merger...

The Staggered Reply, Quite Literally...