As The Tides Turn...

I'm stuck in a safehouse, hashing out the details with Red in the background.

Being on the phone with HQ has never been so boring. But at least I have Red to talk to during the slow moments.

Like after we got through with how things were going during the Culling.

-Start Transcription-

Red: “We should all make a list of people involved. We need to put that in there."

Me: “Yeah, and we need to explain what the hell we just did. God damn it, it’s times like this that make me miss fieldwork. I could have gotten killed but hey, at least it was never boring.”

Red: "This is boring to you?"

Me: "Kind of? There's a reason I only made it to K5."

Red: "What does it take to entertain you? And did this net you a promotion yet?"

Me: "Six bottles of beer and a series of YouTube videos about a kid’s show run by an Irish girl and a talking stuffed river stoat."

Red: "You are a deeply fucked up human being."

Me: "What? He's just so macabre and his backstory is hilarious. And no, actually I think my promotion was not getting by head chopped off by HR."

Red: "I'm surprised you don't fanboy over Gallows or David."

Me: "Eh, they're upper rankers. I prefer middle management types myself. And David isn't my brand of funny."

Red: "I guess he imprinted when he tortured her. It carried over with her memories. She was genuinely fond of him."

Me: "I'm both shocked and utterly mortified."

Red: "You can't blame us. We've had such fucked up lives."

Me: "That's why I'm shocked and mortified."

Red: "The DuBois torture line continues."

Me: "There really needs to be some sort of Employee Therapy session or something. Clearly whatever team bonding they have here isn't working."

Red: "We need to float that to HR."

Me: "We really do."

Red: "Proxies tend to find me for a spot of torture. Or sex. It's hard to care when you can't die."

Me: "That's... still pretty bad."

Red: "It's happened so many times we enjoy it. Life left its mark on us."

Me: "You and I are having a drink later and talking about this."

Red: "I still have one of the knives David used to torture us."

Me: "Why?

Red: “And talk about what?"

Me: "Everything. This whole life of yours, Red. I'm worried about you."

Red: "Because. Same reason we still wear the red woven metal ring. So we don't forget. Every life gets a tattoo."

Me: “Not really a memento I'd keep. Tattoos are fine though."

Red: "We're running out of skin to tattoo."

Me: " I noticed."

Red: "People can call me Jack, if they like. I will still operate under the handle Dia. That character reminds me of myself. What the darkest timeline of me is like. Her voice is so beautiful."

Me: "Remind me to get you a personal gaming system in your next mission location. And fair enough, I’ll tell the other members of the team."

Red: "Yes."

Me: "Hope you enjoy it. Requisitions owes me a favor. God.. I hate paperwork."

Red: "Another bonus?"

Me: "No. Just.. call this one a present. I'm feeling generous. Sue me."

Red: "If you insist."

 -End Transcription-

Comments

  1. Ain't no mountain higgggh enough. Ain't no valley lowww enough. Ain't no river wiiiide enough. To keep me from getting to you baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has never been a moment where I hated this song more than this one.

    What do you want?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deals, Steals, and Another Corporate Merger...

The Staggered Reply, Quite Literally...

Under the Pale Moonlight