A Hungover Halloween Story

...Can I point out the irony of Halloween in what could be considered a sanctuary for the strange, spooky, and somewhat deranged seeming sort of normal?

Because it really fucking is.

Yes, yes, I get it. It's like Christmas for us. Even Jack is in a better mood around this time of yeah, always loved the macabre and the supernatural, that one.

I'm currently nursing a hangover from what I thought was light beer... No, I'm purely fucking sure I was slipped a tasty mix of moonshine and fucking pumpkin spice because there is no way that shit I was given was under 5%.

Did I get slipped an Armageddon while I wasn't paying attention?

Sure, I'm more.. amicable, around this time of year. Sort of like a genial happy soul is on any other given day, even if smiling makes me look like a psychopath.

We had a weird sort of block party and trick or treat thing.. They call it trunk or treat in the real world, sort of one of those alternatives to kids going around to doorsteps and begging for candy.

Of course, it's safe enough around here to do that.. but I feel like when everyone celebrates all at once in the town square... it has a bit of a charm to it, you know?

When the head bitch herself dresses up, you know I'm going to do the same thing.

She went.. well.. She decided to be herself, minute she showed back up at Sanctuary. Called it a casual fuck you to a few people who put her through hell while she was away.

I just put on pajamas and called it casual wear.

Ironically, seeing someone who constantly tries to keep up with a slog of paperwork, people, and running what is essentially a large warehouse community, they expect to see you in your proverbial Sunday best. But when you're dressed like you usually do, outside of work attire, it tends to draw a lot of attention from the crowd.

A lot of... unwanted attention. Can't a guy just wear his hoodie shirt and pajama bottoms in peace?

Cold as shit too... Thankfully I keep a long sleeved shirt and some long pajama pants in storage. Not exactly the cold weather type... had to adapt, seeing as where I'm from is basically a fucking sauna for 11 out of 12 months in a year, and sporadically turns into a marshland or a random tundra for a few weeks out of that remaining month.

Jack... had fun. Which I'm oddly grateful for..

It's been.. nice having her back. Less of a load on my mind to whatever the hell she's been getting up to. Seeing her smile, watching her enjoy herself in the home that she made.

Fuck, if I had a heart, it'd have grown three sizes that day.

Makes me.. kind of angry, you know? In a way, it was easier to just let her handle shit on her own and feign my sort of fiery rage at her screwing up...

Like I said, I think she knows how much I actually give a shit about her, not that she's ever really exploited it. Just.. knows how to push my buttons the right way, is all.

Jack did her usual thing with the neighborhood kids, cheered them on, watched them play. Acted like there wasn't a care in the world except how on this one day, she could at least enjoy herself.

Then, we hung out. Not as boss and employee.

Just.. friends. Weirdly enough, it's been a long fucking time since we could ever have any real time to ourselves. Outside of the usual mid day breaks between our two expected roles... or when we're both exhausted and just happen to pass out in the same room together.

Remind me to quit drinking heavy shit... Feels like I passed out for two days straight and woke up feeling like someone rubbed my throat down with sandpaper...

But now it's November.

It's getting colder. Skies are darkening faster.

So many things die to come back in the spring...

New beginnings. 

Time to get back to work... Maybe things will change a lot more than we think.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Under the Pale Moonlight

Deals, Steals, and Another Corporate Merger...

The Staggered Reply, Quite Literally...